Student Life @ PLC

Welcome to Presidency London College:
We’ve made it our mission, at Presidency London College (PLC) to make the time you spent while studying with us easy, simple and smooth running. And how do we do that ? Have a look at the helpful information we have provided here about living in London !

  • Transport
London Underground (the tube : the quickest way to move around. Tickets come in weekly or monthly passes. As a student, you can benefit from 30% discount on the travelling fares. Ask us for the Student Photo Scheme. Buses also provide a good connecting service between locations, but they tend to be slower because of road traffic. We are lucky to be within walking distance to two underground stations (Kilburn Park and Kilburn) and a number of buses travelling through Kilburn High Road. For full details of travel, see

  • Accommodation
Accommodation is arranged through estate agents.We strongly recommend that if you live a long way away from London, that you book short term accommodation such as Bed & Breakfast/Hotels. Although we do not provide the service of organising students’ accommodation, we are happy to give advice and guidance in terms of choosing a place to live.

  • Bank Account
As it is increasingly difficult to open a bank account in the UK, we suggest you bring with you enough paper work to confirm your identity, your bank details in your country of origin and evidence of funds to pay in. The College is happy to give you a letter confirming your status as a student, but is neither involved nor guarantee the bank’s response. It may be worth looking into branches of your UK banks in your country of origin and signing up with them before arriving in the UK.

  • Health

It is normal procedure to register with your local NHS clinic in the UK, once you settle in and have an address. The same applies for dentists. It is however recommended to have warm clothing and a good diet to live through the winter months in the UK.

  • National Insurance

Everyone who works in the UK must pay National Insurance (NI) contributions. Once the student has started working, they must apply for a NI number at any local DSS office, providing evidence of their identity.

  • Cost of Living

It is important that students make adequate financial provision before they start a course of study. In particular, non-EEA nationals studying in the UK are expected by the Home Office to have enough money to support themselves without working and without recourse to public funds. The following is a guideline to show how much an international student might need to live and study in London. - £35 to £55 / week for food costs - £25 to £40 / week for other personal items - £100 to £150 / week for accommodation - £60 to £100 / year for books and learning resources Students should allow for some extra funds for trips, entertainment, clothing ...

  • Council Tax

Most adults over 18 years who are resident in the UK have to pay council tax. This tax is set by local authorities to help pay for services such as libraries, the police and the fire brigade. It is based on the value of the accommodation in which you live. As a student you may not have to pay council tax, this depends on where you live and who you want to live with. It is best to seek advice from a student adviser if you have enquires about the council tax.

  • Television Licence

If you have a television in your home then you must have a valid television licence. This normally applies even if you are staying in college accommodation. Licences are available from post offices and cost £116 for a colour TV or £38.50 for a black and white TV. More details: